Speed Reading – The Basics
Below are some very simple techniques for reading faster as used by most speed reading courses that I have come across as well as a free speed reading tool that I’ve developed.
Ok so the steps you can do are….
1. When reading move your finger across the words you are reading or some sort of pointer. The reason this works is its easier on your eyes as there is a better contrast between a pointer and the words than between one word and another word. Also it helps you stop skipping back accidentally and re-reading the same words. Skipping back and re-reading the same word in speed reading terminology is often called regression.
2. Try not to pronounce the words in your head. When we are taught to read it is generally phonetically meaning we sound out the words. This is a great method for learning reading however once we learn to read it can slow us down. To overcome this you can try forcing yourself to read faster than you can talk or humming while reading also helps some people. Studies have found that people that have been deaf since birth are natural speed readers. The reason being they haven’t learnt to read by hearing the words which will naturally limit you to roughly the speed you talk at, therefore its common for people to read at 200 to 300 words per minute. On the other hand people such as deaf people who have not learnt to read phonetically will read at speeds of 1000 per minute plus without any knowledge of speed reading.
3. Try to read more than one word at a time. Also know as chunking. You can start of by trying to chunk 2 words together and then eventually a whole line. Our eyes are actually can see the whole line at a time but we dont get trained to read that way. The speed reading tool below can help you start with this. It can display the number of words you want to read at a time and flash it on the screen quickly which will help develop this skill.
4. If you reading a text book, you could only read parts of the book where you don’t know the topic rather than reading the whole thing. For instance if your reading a math book but your great at all maths except algebra , why not focus on the algebra.. you could actually read the algebra chapter 2 or more times and if your not reading the rest of the chapters still save time
5. Read first thing in the morning or when you feel active and alert. You will naturally read faster and remember more.
Speed reading tool
Below is my free speed reading tool that I’ve developed for public use, you can change the speed of the text display, font size, colour, how many words are displayed at a time. You can simply paste in any text you like. I designed this to work on pc’s, mac’s,iphone’s and androids. What the tool does is, you paste in any text you want to speed read. It then flashes up on the screen x amount of words at a time. You can control the amount of words it flashes up and the speed ( words per minute ) via the controls. By doing this it helps with regression, chunking, and helps you increase speed by changing the speed control to a level your slightly uncomfortable with it will help you to grow as a speed reader.
I hope you enjoy the tool and all the best with your reading endeavours.
Would like to thank quick reading site for this tool
- No categories